Sunday, October 26, 2014

The dime box frankenset, Page 35: Numbers 307-315


Last week's frankenset voting came down to the wire.

Win -- 1973 Topps #302 Terry Crowley (16 votes)

Place -- 1996 Stadium Club #299 Fernando Vina (13 votes)

Show -- 1994 Pinnacle #304 Pat Meares (4 votes)

Records were set all over the place. Crowley's 16 votes are the most we've had for a single card since this whole frankenset business started. Vina's 13 are a new record for most tallies in a loss.

And the 36 total votes are a new single week record as well, so a huge, huge thanks to everyone who made last week's frankenset page so exciting. It took hours of deciding, but I ended up giving Vina the slight edge over Crowley with my tally.

Both are among my favorite cards in the entire set, and I can definitely see why Mr. Crowley ended up taking the crown.




I don't know if this week's frankenset page can match the drama of the last one, but let's give it a shot.

Here are the nominees.



1997 Upper Deck #307 Scott Erickson

AL pitcher at the plate!



1990 Upper Deck #308 Ed Whitson

Props to pitcher Ed Whitson for somehow making it to second base. 



1996 Stadium Club #309 Scott Servais

Didn't your mom ever tell you to not look directly at the sun?! 



1971 Topps #310 Tommie Agee

I can't help but wonder if this magnificent shot was taken during the same game as the famous (and eerily similar) '71 Topps Bud Harrelson




1992 Score #311 Jeff Reed

I'm at a loss for words every time I see this card.

I've always wanted to scan it side-by-side like that.



1995 Upper Deck #312 Steve Buechele

A little tyke on the field at Wrigley. 



1994 Upper Deck #313 Kurt Abbott

Double dip! 



1992 Topps #314 Jeff Huson

A fantastic double play marred only by the unfortunate Jose Canseco cameo. 



2002 UD Victory #315 Jason Bere

This pitcher at the plate (and our third different Cub) closes out this week's frankenset page.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

6 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

My vote goes to the Servais. I just love how both he and the Cardinal behind him have their hands up in the air.

Rosenort said...

I love that Jeff Reed, one of my all time favorite. That Steve Buechele card has always creeped me out, his face looks like a weird wax statue.

Salgado said...

I have voter's remorse. I voted for Agee, but I wish I picked Joliet Jeff. Dunston cameo in the Whitson card!

BobWalkthePlank said...

I'm going for Jeff Reed. It looks like a sniper got him.

Robert said...

The Agee all the way.

Adam Kaningher said...

Huson is a TV color analyst for the Rockies these days. My vote goes to him.