Sunday, October 12, 2014

The dime box frankenset, Page 33: Numbers 289-297


Let's take a look at the results of last week's voting.

Win -- 1992 Stadium Club #282 Lonnie Smith (10 votes)

Place -- 1997 Ultra #284 Joey Hamilton (7 votes)

Show -- 1995 Stadium Club #286 Jeff Montgomery (6 votes)

Lonnie Smith's World Series collision at the plate took the lead from the start and didn't let go, receiving ten of the 32 total votes.

Although I had a feeling he'd pretty much walk away with the win, I gave the nod to a card that didn't even make it into the top three. I was one of only two people to vote for the military-based '92 UD Mark Eichhorn "autograph" shot. It's probably the most interesting take I've ever seen on that theme.

A big thanks to everyone who participated last week. The 32 votes were among the most we've seen since this whole frankenset thing started.

It is my pleasure to present this week's frankenset contestants to all of you.




As usual, we have a great group of nominees in this completed page.

Let's meet them, shall we?



1992 Upper Deck #289 Dave Gallagher

Another specimen from the extinct "collision at the plate" category.



1994 Collector's Choice #290 Turk Wendell

Turk Wendell was one odd dude.  



1995 Topps #291 Jose Oquendo

Our second straight page with a Jose Oquendo double dip. 



1992 Pinnacle #292 John Burkett SIDE

OVER THE LINE! 



 1992 Pinnacle #293 Dwight Smith SIDE

One of the best subsets in history gives us another fantastic frankenset hit with Dwight Smith singing the anthem at Wrigley.



1993 Upper Deck #294 Casey Candaele

A classic from '93 Upper Deck, and the third Wrigley Field appearance on this page. 



2012 Topps #295 Jayson Werth

Safe! 



2012 Topps #296 Brayan Pena

One of 2012's finest cards, and among the last of its kind. 



1994 Topps #297 Spike Owen

This week's page finishes with a terrific Yankee Stadium double play shot.

As usual, the polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things I wonder:
We've got Dwight Smith here; we've got Roy Lee Jackson on a 1984 Fleer card; are there any other cards featuring singing players?

I've been a league bowler for over 20 years (disclaimer - not a GOOD bowler, just a league bowler) and I don't remember ever seeing all-white bowling shoes. I also find it difficult to bowl well in jeans (but that's just me), so I wonder if they just caught John Burkett in street clothes and asked him to fake bowling for the photographer.

Ana Lu said...

Quite tough! There are 3 great flying cards..But Turk wins!

BobWalkthePlank said...

I like John Burkett and his acid washed jeans.

Mike said...

I think Turk is one of the best I've seen in The Frankenset thus far!