Sunday, September 7, 2014

The dime box frankenset, Page 28: Numbers 244-252


Last week saw what I thought to be the first big upset in our frankenset voting thus far.

Win -- 1979 Topps #239 Willie Horton (7 votes)

Place -- 1982 Topps #237 Rusty Kuntz (6 votes)

Show -- 2004 Fleer Tradition #242 Desi Relaford (4 votes)

For whatever reason, the voting totals dipped from 27 two weeks ago to just 21 last week, but that didn't hurt the excitement all that much. I was expecting good ol' Rusty to run away with this thing.

Mr. Kuntz got my vote, but Willie Horton in all his reversed-negative glory came out with the narrow surprise victory.

Let's get those vote totals back up for our next page of frankenset nominees.




We're back to a full nine this week.

Today's page contains one of my personal favorite cards in this entire frankenset.

Let's meet the nominees.



1999 Topps #244 Andy Benes

Pitcher at the plate! 

(No relation to Elaine Benes.)



1983 Fleer #245 Vance Law

Those shades look clean to me. 



1980 Topps #246 Tim Foli

One of the better double dips you'll ever see. 



1993 Select #247 Kirt Manwaring

I'd have to go back and check, but it seems like Kirt Manwaring holds more spots in this frankenset than any other player. 



1997 Topps #248 Sean Berry

A dust cloud worthy of the Old West.



2013 Topps #249 Vance Worley

Throwback!



2000 Stadium Club Chrome #250 Rick Asadoorian

A superb "at the wall" shot. 



1992 Score #251 Mike Felder

A member of The Mike Felder Trifecta



1970 Topps #252 Lowell Palmer

The best shades in the history of baseball cards, bar none.

There you have it. Let's see if we can push those tallies up into the 30 range this week. Your vote counts! Treat yourself to a little frankenset fun.

The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

11 comments:

Robert said...

I was torn between Worley and Asadoorian, but in the end a great leaping catch takes precedent over a throwback (at least for me).

P-town Tom said...

I have to go with the former Peoria Chief, Rick Asadoorian, on this one. Great camera shot!

JediJeff said...

I may end up being the only vote for the card, but that Felder is one of the greatest pieces of cardboard ever.

Mark Hoyle said...

The Palmer card rules

Alex Markle said...

I was planning on voting for the Foli card, but that Palmer card is just too cool.

Ana Lu said...

Tough choice but in the end is always the dust that wins.

BobWalkthePlank said...

The Asadoorian is awesome!

Unknown said...

Foli card for me. I loved that set as a kid.

Mike said...

Palmer looks like "Shades" from That Thing You Do so he's getting my vote!

majpasqua said...

Palmer, 'nuff said!

Adam Kaningher said...

Hmmm. Tough choices this week.