Friday, September 5, 2014

The baseball card song


Like a lot of kids when I was young





I was buying baseball cards and bubble gum




A diehard fan of big league ball




I'd read the stats and collect them all




I didn't put mine between bicycle spokes




Or leave them at home unattended with my folks




I vowed to save them and keep till I got old




Never tossed, never sold





Flipping, collecting, saving, trading





Waiting, hoping, dreaming, praying





Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Bowman, big league on display




I'm so glad my mom and dad didn't throw mine away




Soon, I discovered cars and girls





Punk rock and booze, the whole wide world





I was short on space but remember what I said





The cards stayed locked up under my bed




Late at night out on the Sunset Strip




I'd do my best to be cool and hip




I'd go home and let down my guard




Put my guitar away and check out all my cards




Flipping, trading, collecting, saving




Waiting, hoping, dreaming, praying





Keeping them around till the later days




I'm so glad my mom and dad didn't throw mine away




Flash forward about fifteen years later




I ran into some big stock trader




He said baseball cards are a great growth item




Yours are top notch, I'd like to buy them




I said I couldn't take any money for them




He said how about some shares of a startup I'm in?




The stock went through the roof, against all bets




And now I own the New York Mets!




Flipping, collecting, trading, saving




Waiting, hoping, dreaming, praying




Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Bowman, big league on display




I'm so glad my mom and dad didn't throw mine away

-------------------------------------------

We card collectors finally have an anthem!

The Baseball Project (a great band whose autographs appear on the Hostess Fidrych above) put out their third album a few months ago. One of the tracks is titled "The Baseball Card Song", and I thought it'd be fun to share the lyrics through, well...baseball cards.

Here's the tune in all its glory.




By the way, here's another awesome little clip my dad found the other day, featuring the members of The Baseball Project taking a stroll through a card shop.

Cue the Ryne Duren references.


3 comments:

Mike said...

This could be your greatest post ever....genius!!

PS-remember I tried to give you the download card I got when I bought this on vinyl!!?

Salgado said...

You posted my favorite Shawon Dunston card ever. I got him to sign it TTM in the 90s, and Shawon Jr. signed it for me at a Cubs Convention a few years ago. It means even more to me now that I have a son.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Sweet post! Many of those cards look so familiar, lol.