Thursday, December 20, 2012

Words, words, words


Honestly, I don't feel too much like writing about baseball cards today.

It's just one of those times where I can't seem to find inspiration to write about anything related to cardboard. It should pass by tomorrow.

Instead, I thought I'd write about...well, writing.

As I've mentioned many times in the past, starting this blog was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's allowed me to gain an entirely new perspective on this hobby. Plus, it's allowed me to meet a great bunch of collectors in the process.

But the magic of the blogosphere doesn't end with simply cardboard.

Nope, I've found that it has affected my non-collector self as well.

Even though I can't bring myself to compose a decent post about baseball cards tonight, I still feel the need to write something.

Why?

Because I've found that I legitimately enjoy to write. 

Whether it involves baseball cards or not, there is something special about putting my thoughts about a given topic on a piece of paper, whether real or virtual. (In the case of blogging, virtual.)

I'm free to express my thoughts about my copy of Thurman Munson's 1975 Topps issue in any way I choose. 

It's a former quarter box find of mine. The purple-pink border combo is something we haven't seen the likes of since. 

And it's one of my all-time favorite Yankee cards.

Trouble is, I've never gotten the chance to write about baseball cards for school or anything. 

Because of that, I'd merely viewed writing as just another grade towards my GPA in the past. It was something I didn't mind doing, but nothing I'd ever prefer to do.

That all changed with the advent of this blog.

I simply cannot stop myself from writing. It's something I need to do on a daily basis. 

And, when I'm assigned to write for a school project or something, I see it as more than just a simple "grade". 

It's a chance to express myself to my heart's content.

One of my final projects at school this year was an eight-page minimum paper for my film class. 

I surpassed the eight-page mark within an hour or two. I actually had to stop myself from writing a couple times.

Although it could've actually been a bit longer, I handed in a 20-page paper to my teacher on the day it was due. 

And I got an "A" on it.

If you read some of the earlier posts on here, you might notice that I wasn't the most refined wordsmith in the world. Some of the writing is just awful.

When I read over those posts nowadays, I still have a hard time believing that I was the one who actually wrote that stuff.

And even though I don't currently consider myself a great writer or anything, I feel that this blog has at least allowed me to become an enormously better wordsmith over the past year.

I'm not afraid to admit it, either.

I love writing.

So much so, in fact, that I'm strongly considering minoring in journalism when I finally move onto a four-year college next year.

When I started this blog, all I wanted to do was babble about some of my favorite baseball cards.

Never did I think it would have this much of an impact on my everyday life.

Never in a million years.

2 comments:

Stealing Home said...

And we love reading what you write, bro.

Fuji said...

You keep writing... and we'll keep reading!