Friday, March 8, 2024

God save your mad parade (a guest post from Dad!)


Nick's Dad here...

Nick loves his "oddball" cards and I love seeing his posts here and going
through his cards, amazing the amount of cool stuff!

I collected the '70s Kiss and Elvis cards, as well as vintage Beatles, Monkees, etc, that were in obtainable mass-produced retail packs, but I also really dig musical oddballs...the apple didn't fall far from the tree! 

Here are some of my favorites...




Amazingly, at one of Nick's old bookstore jobs, he grabbed me a bag of about 40 of these 1957 Hit Stars trading cards that they were THROWING AWAY! 

The set was about half movie and TV stars and half music...guess they figured they'd cash in on that new rock n roll "fad"!




Also going in the trash, Nick got me a bunch of these double-sided Supremes cards...I thought they'd be 60s-70s vintage but turns out they were produced by the Motown Corp. in 1986,and that IS odd!




These 1974 minis were put out in the U.K. by Bassett & Co. which is a company who made all kinds of cards from way back, many of my Brit friends collected their football (soccer) and cricket cards...

3 big faves here: Marc Bolan, Noddy Holder, and Roy Wood...




These next couple sets were made by the Dutch company Monty Gum 76-77...I LOVE ABBA but only have a few of these cards, they're usually in the 6-10 dollar range...




...the "Punk" set is really cool with lots of cards I'd love to nab, but these are even scarcer and pricier, but if I had to pick 2 I'd pick the 2 I have!




Nick was nuts about those cards in the SI For Kids magazine when he was
a boy, and has since showed me other "came with a magazine" cards...

A Chicago legend, Jake Austen has been cranking out issues of his magazine Roctober for a loooong time, and an issue a few years ago contained these "Hall Of Dynamic Greatness" cards, from the well-known (Blondie) to the obscure but just as great (Jobriath!)...




I realize any card issued by Topps might not qualify as an "oddball", but
if any qualify it would be these cards issued for the 1994 revival of
"Damn Yankees" on Broadway...

They were (as far as I know) only sold in a pack at the theatre...On my last trip to the Broadway Cares Flea Market in NYC, I finally found a set at a table for 20 dollars, and I immediately asked the vendor if the Jerry Lewis card was in there, since most sets I saw online his card was pulled to sell seperately...it wasn't in there, so the vendor says "how about five bucks?"

Sold!! Found a reasonable Lewis card shortly thereafter to complete the set...

Always fun to "guest post" and thanks for the opportunity, Nick!

10 comments:

Mark Zentkovich said...

👍

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Those are some fantastic odd balls!

Elliptical Man said...

A fun break from sports.

Voting for the underrated Bebe Neuwirth.

GTT said...

Now I need to get a card of Marc Bolan.

Brett Alan said...

Love that Fats Domino card! The Roy Wood is very cool too--The Move never really made it here in the US but they're a great band, and he did one of the best Christmas records ever.

The idea of a punk trading card set seems really strange to me.

Shlabotnik Report said...

I'm old enough to know most of the subjects, but I hadn't seen most of these cards before. Thank you for sharing, I'd love to see more!

(Didn't realize that both Mickey and Sylvia played guitar)

Jon said...

It's always nice to hear another guy admit to liking ABBA. I'm a really big fan of theirs too, but it seems like a taboo to say so.

Jafronius said...

Fun stuff! How could that bookstore be throwing away those cards?

Angus said...

Thanks for showing that Damn Yankees set. At a local card show today, I recognized the Bebe Neuwirth card in the corner of a card page, underneath some other pages non-spirt sets for sale. The Jerry Lewis card and the pack wrapper was there, so I picked it up.

Fuji said...

Wasn't familiar with most of these sets. Might have to add a few new eBay saved searches.