Friday, February 17, 2023

I told myself I wouldn't do this (or, a box of 2023 Topps)


In 2023, for the first time in my adult life, I was fully prepared to sit out the once-beloved ritual of buying the first cards of the new collecting year.

Is it possible to be burnt out with a set before it even hits the shelves? Because that's what I was feeling with 2023 Topps. The previews, the promos, the hype - it seemed to never end. There's always gonna be a certain amount of chatter before a new year's cards release, but this year, for whatever reason, seemed to take it to DEFCON 5. I told myself I'd buy whatever singles I needed online, maybe pick up a few packs if I happened to find myself in a Target in the next couple weeks, and that'd be that.

Fast-forward to a couple days ago, when a rather unexpected bit of news shot across the headlines of Dime Boxedonia: a new card shop opened in town, a good five minutes from where I live! I've long dreamed of having an LCS in my tiny little suburb, and somehow that wish came true all these years later. While I wasn't expecting much, my trip to the shop turned out to be a surprisingly fun treat for a few reasons (which I'll cover in a future post) - but I suppose it's no coincidence that I went there this past Wednesday...the day 2023 Topps came out.

Not wanting to get too crazy, I asked the LCS owner if I could purchase a few single packs, and at some point while my hand was descending upon the trove of loose wax, I heard myself say - ah what the heck, I'll just take a box.




Like I said, I told myself I wouldn't do this, and there's a couple reasons why.

First: if you believed Topps's marketing team, the only two guys in this set are Adley Rutschman and Julio Rodriguez. Topps themselves even billed 2023 Topps as "The J-Rod Show." Other sets might be appropriately labeled as such, but to me, Flagship is here to let us appreciate the game as a whole, not just a couple dudes. If nothing else, I hope this post is a reminder that there are 328 other guys to collect in this set.

Second: the cost. Not to sound like an old coot, but I remember (not that long ago) when I could get a nice basic hobby box of Topps Series 1 for $60-65. I paid $100 for this box - sure, there's a little bit of a card shop markup, but either way, that just seems insane to me. (Thankfully my birthday's in a couple days, and I had a little extra cash in my pocket.)

But the fact is, even with all that, I still bought the box - and while I wasn't in the least looking to "offset" the cost of it, I'm pleased to report that I did pull a nifty Rutschman insert at the top of this post (one per case!) that should cover my expenses.




Okay, so you've heard me yammer on about jumping through all the mental hoops of what it took for me to buy this box - but what about the box itself, Nick??

I'll just say it right now: I like 2023 Topps! I was a bit underwhelmed when I first saw the preview a few months ago, but for me the cards pop a lot more in-person. I've gone on record on saying Topps designs have gotten a bit too TV-graphicy in recent years - and while this year's look most certainly continues that trend, they're at least entertaining. Player and team names are still smaller than I'd like them to be, but that's a minor quibble.

It sounds weird to say, but this is the first time in at least a few years where it actually feels like we get a design, and not just a few carefully placed lines and names across a piece of cardboard.




Plus Topps actually honored 1988 Topps as their main Anniversary insert set this year, giving us a much-needed breather from the more "classic" designs they've been shoving down our throats lately (looking at you, 1987).

I haven't bought a Flagship box in a while, so I completely forgot I a bonus four-card Silver Pack with it - definitely a treat since I always want shiny cards.




Those "Aces" inserts are also fantastic, but the rest of this year's inserts are a big bag of nothing.

Also, the gold parallels are seeded one-per-box(!) which is a telling clue of how overproduced this set is - thankfully the one I pulled was a need (send me all your Sonny Gray cards!).




There's quite a few excellent photos scattered throughout 2023 Topps - with a special nod going to that Cubs Field of Dreams throwback.

But what I really like about the design is that it makes even the average cards look at least passable, which isn't something you can say about a lot of sets these days - because after all, not every card is gonna show a guy leaping into the stands with a Rookie Cup at his feet.




Another bonus: the design serves horizontals quite well.




Major points to Topps for giving a couple greats the sunset cards they deserved. 




I don't know that I'm ready to declare a full-blown "City Connect Jersey" mini-collection yet, but I have to admit I had fun picking these out of my box.

I'm certainly not a fan of all these things (yikes, Brewers), but like my throwbacks collection, they're fun to hunt down - and 2023 showed off a cast of debut duds.




I'll admit I had a slight bit of buyer's remorse walking out of the card shop that hallowed afternoon, but after opening the box and introducing myself to 2023 Topps, I can honestly say it was worth the price of admission.

At this point, I can't help but wonder if there's something embedded in my collecting DNA here - because no matter how hard I try to ignore it, or tell myself I shouldn't care, there's just no escaping the thrill of a new year's worth of baseball cards.

17 comments:

Mike said...

This set looks really cool! And,pal.. glad you bought the box,live it up when you can!!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

The Aces is really nice.

Fuji said...

A. I like this year's flagship design.

B. I really like the Aces inserts.

C. I really, really like the Home Field Advantage inserts.

D. I really, really, really want to get my hands on the SSP Legendary Home Field Advantage McGwire insert that features Oakland.

sg488 said...

Congrats on the Rutschman.

bbcardz said...

I also picked up a Series 1 hobby box at my LCS (a pre-order). Didn't get a card as nice as your HFA Adley but still pretty happy with my purchase. Topps has to feel pretty good that most collectors like the base card design. Kudos to Topps!

Anonymous said...

"J-Rod show" is so stupid. Nice-looking set, though not sure I'll buy any.

OhioTim said...

I love the design of the 2023 Topps cards. It is definitely one of the better designs in recent years. I do like the various insert designs. My favorite is the Stars of MLB insert in retail packs. Definitely an upgrade from last year. Looking forward to hearing about the new local card shop.

John Bateman said...

This is truly a great design, though I remember buying wholesale in the late 1980s boxes (540 cards) for $20.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Glad to see you all like the design (I don't) though I can confirm that it looks much much better in hand than online. Nice to see the 88s and some of the inserts actually look good for once too.

beefman said...

Looks like the best use of a team-color-coded design since 2015. I build the base + update set every year but this years set is going to be the most fun in 8 years! Love the use of team logos on the front, plus the Pujols and Yadi sunset cards.

Xavier Higgins said...

You beat the odds for sure. 2023 Topps design is definitely amongst the best designs of the Transcendent era (2015-present)
Bought a Jumbo Box myself and was pleased with the results though I'd say even at the $100 price point on your hobby box that you bested me. Looking forward to a future trade with you my cardboard brother!!!

gcrl said...

i am with you on all points here! i am glad to see the rockies' city connect unis get some card time - the padres' unis not so much.

and, because i can follow directions, i was at the monthly club show here yesterday and found some sonny gray cards. i'll get them to you shortly.

Anonymous said...

I like the design, but really disappointed they didn’t mark Ohtani as P/DH. That’s his whole bag!

Chris said...

Nice Adley insert! I felt much the same way as you did when a card shop moved down the street from me. "Oh sweet an LCS in my area! I can't wait to become a regular customer and rip open some hobby packs."


..


"A hundred bucks for a box of Topps??!?!? Just for regular-old flagship Series 1. And you expect me to hand over another hundy for Series 2?!?


..

"That's it, I'm going back to COMC/Sportlots/card show dime boxes."

Jafronius said...

Being off social media for the most part means I avoid most of the hype, so I'll still be excited for new cards. Thanks for showing them off!

GCA said...

I want to say I've been keeping up with the blogs, so maybe it's just social media that was over-hyping this year's flagship set?
I do like the design, but I still probably won't buy any. I'm just not into the current players enough. It is definitely an improvement over the last few years.

Of course, all that Topps pushes is the big rookie(s). Hello, why don't you push the whole league and boost the value of all the other cards? Some of us only like players who actually have accomplished something!

night owl said...

I really, really, really like the horizontal cards this year. Not enough to buy a whole box, but I really do.