Monday, March 4, 2019

Personality crisis


In baseball -- and often life in general -- I find myself nostalgic for a time I never saw.

I very much wish I could've seen the baseball of my father's generation, or my grandfather's, or my great-grandfather's, and so on. I enjoy the game with all my heart now, but there are parts of its past I never got to witness, parts that could've made me love it even more.

One of the main knocks that comes to mind against today's baseball is the sheer fact that there's not a whole lot of personality in the league anymore. I remember one analyst (I can't recall who) saying that there's just not enough "weird" in baseball anymore, and I think that's apt. Many guys are brick walls as far as personality goes. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they're even that fond of baseball at all aside from the big bucks it pays.

Maybe it's the rose-colored glasses phenomenon, but the days when guys like Dizzy Dean prowled the field seems like centuries ago -- which makes scoring unexpected SPs like this one of Ol' Diz from Greg's fantabulous 10th anniversary giveaway over at "Night Owl Cards" quite a treat.




It's gotten to the point where any shred of personality almost immediately endears me to a guy, just because it's such a novelty.

I've been following Sean Doolittle on Twitter for a while -- he's a fun, right-thinking dude who seems to be conscious of the world he lives in (which isn't always common among athletes). I remember him mentioning he met his wife on the internet and for some reason I thought that was cool too since I don't often equate that with professional ballplayers. For all these reasons and more, I decided to start collecting Mr. Doolittle recently.

Greg was nice enough to include this Doolittle A&G mini in a package I received not long after his big 10th anniversary party -- the player collection is officially underway!




More guys who've shown enough personality to inspire me to hoard their cards -- and I really need more of those Topps Fire "Nickname" inserts in my life.




A couple Dodger oddball dupes from Greg here, including a Fernando box-bottom I've been scoping out for a long time.

It's not that I don't appreciate the "gritty" Kirk Gibsons of the baseball world -- I just think an entire universe made up of nothing else can get mighty boring.




I don't know much about the personalities of Reggie Walton or Alex Arias, but these are prime frankenset fodder here (dig the Fenway shot on the Walton!).




I'm a fan of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, and all the other current Cubs -- but none of them will ever match the wonder that was Ernie Banks.




You wanna talk nostalgia: I wish I was around to see a time where records came on the backs of baseball cards, like they did on the wonderful "Baseball Talk" series of the late '80s.

But nope, records haven't come with baseball cards in my lifetime, nor do I own the coveted '62 Lou Brock rookie featured on the front of this awesome oddball from Greg. Hopefully one day, sometime in the future, when the stars align, a '62 Brock will fall into my hands at something near a price I can afford. The cheapest one I've seen at a show was going for $90...might have to wait a little while there.

For now, I'll try my best to enjoy all the cards I already own, and the baseball on my TV all spring and summer -- the present might not be perfect, but it's all I have.

11 comments:

Mike said...

No youtube clip for Personality Crisis!?...c'mon man!!

And that Lou Brock is a playable record??

Adam Kaningher said...

You make a good point. The guys that had to have jobs in the winter must have really loved this game to play it in the summer.

I think most of us would do pretty much anything for $330 million.

Chris said...

Love that Dizzy Dean SP. There's a guy with personality (and not enough cards). Sean Doolittle seems like a guy who gets it. I should try to pick up a couple of his cards myself.

I was a kid in the late '80s and I saw pretty much all of the oddball baseball memorabilia of the time - and bought most of it -- but I dont think I had any of those Baseball Talk cards. Talking Baseball, on the other hand..I not only had them, I bought them again a couple years ago.

Jon said...

Great subject matter! I've been telling no one in particular, for years now, that there aren't nearly enough characters in all sports. Guys, and gals, used to be more recognizable, and that was in time when there was less coverage. Now, even with the constant access, all there seems to be is faceless athletes, devoid of any sort of personality whatsoever.

night owl said...

Athletes are now coached in what to say and what not to say. They have the same personalities that players back in the day had, they just don't let them shine as much. Part of that is the media's fault and social media's fault in particular. And, yes, a lot more is on the line because there is so much money at stake now.

As a journalist, though, I've always thought that if you really do your job, you will be able to draw out your subject's personality if you're good at your job. Even the most PR-trained athlete will drop his/her guard at least a little if you ask the right questions and show an interest in your subject.

Fuji said...

Man... I'd love to be able to step into a time machine and watch guys like Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams play the game. I think there are still plenty of guys who have a personality... but there are also a bunch who hold back because they're afraid of how they'll be perceived by the media and fans. These days just about anything an athlete does is going to be followed up by supporters and haters. For example... bat flips and touchdown celebrations. For every fan that appreciates them and are entertained by them, there's a fan who thinks the athlete is disrespecting the game. It's like a no-win situation.

bbcardz said...

Most pro athletes walk a thin line between maximizing their marketability and avoiding scandals/controversy. Most want to get their fair share of endorsement deals, TV guest spots and donations to their foundations. Opportunities to generate more supplemental income can dry up if athletes choose to say or do something that is perceived as wrong or unethical. In many cases, their main employer may begin to view them as "expendable" if their behavior antagonizes others. Thus, many pro athletes (but not all) try to keep a relatively low profile.

Laurens said...

Maybe it’s just reality, but as a fan, I just don’t know about current players anymore.

It’s all a business and it maybe harder to attach myself to any particular player - as a way to find someone to identify with because I am a spectator and would want to know the players.

acrackedbat said...

i do think money and the "WWW" have changed the personality of the game. I can't say that it's "easy money" but don't see the drive and love for the game as often. A reason I so enjoy Altuve is his drive and determination to play well and to win but wouldn't say he is a "personality." Doolittle uses his celebrity in a positive manner. I've mentioned before being drawn to the Deadball Era and perhaps it is because of their personalities; the hard-scrabble upbringings so many of those players had. They certainly weren't playing for big dollars.

AdamE said...

If you are going to follow any baseball player it NEEDS to me Tim Dillard. At least try a sample:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/author/dimtillard

If nothing else this card must be added to your want list.

https://www.pengosports.com/tim-dillard-nut-shot-card/

Xavier Higgins said...

Willians Astudillo will renew your faith in baseball & Humanity.