Tuesday, October 16, 2018

The (Second) Dime Box Frankenset, Page 68: Numbers 604-612


Frankenset Page #27 WINNER -- 1974 Topps #238 Fran Healy (8 votes)

As per my recent work schedule, I've decided to switch these frakenset posts from Fridays to Tuesdays, which meant that last week's page got a few bonus days of open polls.

Turns out it needed a bit of extra time: we had a three-way tie (Oliva, Healy, Rijo) going into the weekend and a two-way tie (Oliva, Healy) until this morning when a late vote for Healy broke the deadlock (winning with eight of the 36 total votes). It's easily the closest race we've had since I restarted these frankenset posts, but my personal favorite card of the lot ended up on top.

Tough to beat a vintage PATP and a Thurman Munson cameo in my book.




The Random Number Generator decided to give us our first super-high-numbered group of this frankenset with Page 68 (#s 604-612) this week.

Not a lot of my 600-level pages are complete (yet), so I thank the Generator for at least letting me show off a finished page without any gaps -- so let's meet the latest nine.



1991 Upper Deck #604 Jim Vatcher

Subliminal Nike advertising?



2011 Topps #605 Brandon Belt

It's not an official mini-collection of mine, but I've always enjoyed hoarding batting-cage shots. 



1994 Collector's Choice #606 Cal Eldred

Cal Eldred would like a better seat, thank you very much.



1984 Topps #607 Tom Hume

Little known fact: Tom Hume was also my 7th grade science teacher. 



2011 Topps #608 Casey McGehee

Throwback! 



1992 Donruss #609 Carlos Quintana

An oddly-cropped and -angled double dip.



1992 Stadium Club #610 Howard Johnson

More from the batting cage, this time of the indoor variety. 



1972 Topps #611 Rich Reese

Vintage bat barrel action.



1991 Upper Deck #612 Dennis Cook

Dennis Cook, .264 career hitter(!).

That's about it for this week's page. The polls are now on the sidebar.

Happy voting!

7 comments:

Mike said...

Tough one this week...when in doubt,go vintage!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Obviously, I've had that Vatcher card many times, but I've never noticed the Nike plug. Well, until now anyway.

Fuji said...

I'm going up the bat with Rich Reese.

Xavier Higgins said...

It's between Reese & Hojo, so when in doubt I'll go Member's Club over psychedelic tombstone 9 out of ten times.

Matt said...

You don't see pictures/angles like the Vatcher card too often. That was the deciding factor for my vote!

Bob Gibson Fan said...

I have a Batting Cage mini-collection. They look great in pages!

Tim said...

Gotta love the look on Tom Hume's face in the picture in the lower left corner.